my birthday fell on a monday this year, so the only logical thing for me to do was to take my production day and give myself a 3 day weekend.
as i'm already in my 30s and have my 40s (!) to look forward to, i've been having some anxiety about turning another year older. i know that it's just the dread of staring down at the barrel of 40. i also know that when i hit my 40s, if i'm still fit and unbelievably young looking, (like by 10+ years or more?) i'll once again look forward to having birthdays.
i guess i'm enjoying being in my 30s and am sad at the thought of leaving a decade that has been pretty darn good to me.
so as i'm a bit subdued about my birthday but trying to handle it with grace, i wanted a mellow weekend.
lots of wonderful things that happened to make my weekend pretty effin' awesome.
1. massage to kick start the weekend
2. a yearly birthday tradition of eating sushi and japanese food at the eatery with peggy
3. dc shoes & underworld party at fortune sound lounge. so basically, a huge skater boys and their wannabe betties party. the guys looked like they just came from a skate park and the girls looked like they were extras from a pat benatar 80s music video. and we, all ex-ravers in our heydays, were feeling rather old at this party. although the music was rad, there was no escaping the obvious: we all had about 10-15 years on these kids!
4. getting my first dvd from rogers direct video in the mail (canada's equivalent to netflix, one of the most awesome things about the states)
5. cherry blossoms blooming in january instead of march/april, due to vancouver hardly having a winter. we are hosting the winter olympics this weekend, are we not?
6. birthday wishes, prezzies, a wonderfully handmade birday card from sean (love it, love the prezzie!) and a youtube birthday shout out from peggy.
peggy (monchichi216) left in the comments box, immortalized for all to see:
Happy Bday to my fav ling ling. lucky to have a great friend like you cuz i know youll always have my back as i do with u! may this year be full of all the good stuff!
luv ya! <3 Peg
i never had a youtube birthday serenade before. that was so full of neat. thanks peggy! luv ya back!
7. more bathtime shenanigans with jonesy. she had me in giggles with her newest skill: pulling the bath plug out.
8. holing up with sean and watching a triple pack of horror/sci-fi/thriller movies. yup, that did the trick to helping me forget about my impending birthday. girly rom-com for my birthday kinda gal, i'm not.
zombieland. omg, i've been wanting to watch this movie since it first came out in theatres. this movie is hilarious. especially columbus' zombie survival rules.
for a sick and twisted movie that will bring the tension, surveillance is pretty hard to top. it's stomach knotting in its unrepentant evilness. i thought jennifer lynch's first movie, boxing helena, was disturbing to watch, this one got it beat hands down. watch it at your peril. chip off the old block, jennifer lynch is way creepier than her dad, director david lynch.
after surveillance, anything we'd watch would be a walk in the park. and that was the 'meh' movie of pandorum.
sean was such a sport. i don't think he's ever seen or heard me scream, jump, yelp or cover my eyes as much as i did this weekend. for valentines day, we're going to have to lighten it up.
9. i took yesterday off from work to not only enjoy a 3 day weekend, but also in hopes of avoiding the birthday embarrassment all the staff goes through at the office. or as i like to call it, "excuse to have cake" day. but no dice. i got card, cake and sung to from my co-workers that turned me into a nice shade of rosé to go with 2 birthday cakes: mocha cheescake and pecan pie. luckily, the embarrassment level was kept to a minimum.
and that's a wrap for this year's birthday. and boy, did i instantly feel more carefree and chipper as i headed home. i always feel good the day after, once my birthday has passed. now i can go back to enjoying my everydays.
until next year, birthday anxiety be gone.