Wednesday, April 1, 2009
geeks of the world unite
had the pleasure of attending the all day massive technology show at ubc robson square. part work, part education and part interest, my value pass allowed for 3 sessions. i chose:
01. leveraging social media for PR
02. social media: thinking big for the small business
03. corporate social responsibility
the speakers were great and i was surprised to find that 5 hours flew by just like that, it was so fun and interesting.
one exhibitor, 6s marketing even gave away free t-shirts that had printed on the front, "show me your tweets" to whomever stop by their booth and tweeted "i am at the @6s_marketing booth at the #massive09 technology show" from their own twitter account. how inventive and awesome! and yes, i will post a picture of me with tee on shortly.
what was almost as rad as the panel of guest and keynote speakers are the 2 massive tech posters pictured above. i want them for my cube farm!
on a related note, nerd pride day makes it debut in canada this may in our capital city of ottawa. nerd pride day originated in spain on may 25, 2006 and in 2008 crossed the atlantic to make its mark on new york.
a manifesto to celebrate nerd pride included a charter of rights and responsibilities of nerds.
01. be a nerd, no matter what.
02. try and be nerdier than anyone else.
03. if there is a discussion about something nerdy, you must give your opinion.
04. save any and all nerdy things you have.
05. do everything you can to show off your nerdy stuff as though it were a "museum of nerdiness."
06. don't be a generalized nerd. You must specialize in something.
07. attend every nerdy movie on opening night and buy every nerdy book before anyone else.
08. wait in line on every opening night. If you can go in costume or at least with a related t-shirt, all the better.
09. don't waste your time on anything not related to nerddom.
10. try to take over the world!
so whether you use the term geek, nerd or dork (i use all three interchangeably on myself), i say own it. stand up and revel in it.
be a person who has chosen concentration rather than conformity; one who passionately pursues skill (especially technical skill) and imagination, not mainstream social acceptance.
so viva les techno geeks, sci-fi geeks, computer geeks, film geeks, comic book geeks, theatre geeks, music geeks and so on and so forth.
cuz only geeks could dream up of this brilliance: (and make it so damn cool)